Immigration for Workers

Seizing opportunities in the Canadian labor market

The Canadian economy presents a consistent demand for new workers, with local candidates unable to fill all available vacancies. As a result, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) frequently grants work permits to foreign individuals who secure employment in Canada. Moreover, Canada actively seeks individuals with prior Canadian work experience, making worker immigration an excellent pathway towards obtaining permanent residence.

Foreigners can acquire work permits in Canada through the following avenues: job offers supported by the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) under the Temporary Foreign Workers Program or job offers under LMIA-exempt categories. This immigration approach aims to accumulate sufficient Canadian work experience to qualify for programs like the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class, all of which are facilitated by Express Entry or select streams of the Provincial Nominee Program.

Book an Appointment

Apply for Work in Canada

Foreign nationals who are interested in working in Canada temporarily usually need to obtain a work permit. The work permit allows them to legally work and earn income during their stay in the country. Two major programs that facilitate the issuance of work permits are the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and the International Mobility Program (IMP).

Under the TFWP, work permits are granted to individuals whose employers have successfully obtained a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The LMIA serves as a confirmation that there is a genuine need for a foreign worker to fill a specific job position and that no Canadian worker is available or qualified to perform the job. This program ensures that the hiring of foreign workers does not negatively impact the job opportunities for Canadians.

On the other hand, the IMP allows for work permits without the requirement of a positive LMIA. Instead, employers need to submit an employment offer through their employer portal as part of the application process. This program is designed to accommodate specific situations where a positive LMIA may not be necessary but still ensures that the employment of foreign workers contributes positively to the Canadian economy.

Work permits issued by the Canadian government can fall into two categories: employer-specific work permits and open work permits. Employer-specific work permits restrict employment to a specific employer and job position, while open work permits provide more flexibility as they allow individuals to work for any employer in Canada, with certain exceptions. The type of work permit granted depends on the specific circumstances and qualifications of the foreign worker.

Search for an Employer

Immigration through work in Canada requires the support of Canadian employers. Our company collaborates with numerous employers who inform us of their unfilled vacancies. We advertise these job opportunities on our social media platforms. Alternatively, you can independently search for employers through various job sites or social media channels.

Obtaining a Positive LMIA

To obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), your employer must provide the necessary financial documents and fulfill all requirements set by the authorities. We will assist in submitting an application to Employment and Social Development Canada, demonstrating that the employer couldn’t find a suitable candidate within Canada. We will help your employer showcase how hiring you will positively impact the Canadian economy. In return, your employer will offer you a full-time job.

Applying for a Work Permit and Other Documents

To work in Canada, you need the appropriate documents issued by the Canadian government. At this stage, we will guide you on the necessary documents for your Work Permit application. If you are not from a visa-exempt country, you may also require a Temporary Resident Visa. If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you, we will assist in obtaining a Work Permit for your spouse and a Study Permit for your children. If your occupation is regulated, you may need to obtain provincial licensing and certification to practice in Canada

Work Permit and Work in Canada

Upon approval of your Work Permit and other documents, you can travel to Canada. Your Work Permit will be issued by the border officer upon arrival. Your objective now is to gain Canadian work experience, as one year of work in Canada makes you eligible for several immigration programs.

Choosing an Immigration Path

Once you meet the eligibility criteria for any immigration program, we will assist in preparing and submitting your Permanent Resident application. Depending on your circumstances, we will guide you towards the most suitable immigration path. Immigration options for workers include the Canadian Experience Class within Express Entry or relevant provincial streams. For provincial immigration strategies, we will first apply for a provincial nomination before submitting your permanent residence application.

Application Processing

This stage represents the longest part of the process. The federal government will review your application for completeness and ensure it meets the requirements of your chosen immigration program. During this stage, you will undergo medical examinations and background checks, including criminality and security assessments. In certain cases, the IRCC may request additional documents to reach a final decision.